Reading Reflection No. 2 ~ Assignment Twenty One


This is the book I read. How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams. I didn't have much time to prepare so I had to get a book that I knew I would be able to finish in less than a week. Procrastination at it's finest.... Oops! I picked this book because the professor said it was a good one so I thought I would give it a shot!

The general theme of the book was a little self explanatory because the title sums it up into one sentence. Scott Adams failed at a lot of things... He explained them in his book too, like the restaurants he opened that weren't successful, some of his investments went down hill really quickly and his inventions didn't really do much for him either! I think that the book really relates to the class because I think our professor stresses that we need to try new things. Even if one fails, we just need to move onto the next idea. Our society today is ALL about success. Especially if you're a woman!! Women are supposed to be CEO's and have a heart of steel at work but also be the family homemaker and be soft, while taking care of their kids and chores. I'm sorry but that is just not how it works. I am not saying it is possible but our society is making women have these expectations like the fact that some women don't take their full maternity leave because they are afraid if they do, they will be passed up for a promotion! Anyway... side note... Back to the book! 😆

An exercise that I would make for the class would definitely be about the happiness section in the book. Because our society is so focussed on success, we forget about the things that make us truly happy. It is a good thing to feel happy when we are working because that is what we will end up spending most of our time doing anyway, throughout our life. We also have to create a life outside of work though that brings happiness. A routine, a family, health, a social life amongst other things. Work can be stressful so we need to make sure we have something that can help us relax after work and create a life that we can have after work that also brings happiness.

I think what surprised me the most about this book was the section of "Recognizing your talents and knowing when to quit". The title confused me because I thought... Knowing when to quit? I was never told to quit! I was told to keep trying until I get it right and work as hard as I can so I can get it done. I have NEVER thought about quitting! He basically stated that we are drawn to what we like and that usually creates talent. Scott said that if our invention or idea doesn't bring excitement or attention to others, it's time to move on to something else and don't listen to family and friends because they are all liars. To be honest... that is true!

I recommend this book to everyone, ESPECIALLY college students. It will help you see a more positive outlook on life.

Comments

  1. Hey Danielle! I also read How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams. I thought Scott did a great job explaining his perspective on how to attain success. I think it’s really interesting that your assignment would be around the happiness section in the book. I also was really surprised when Scott told us to know when to quit, but I think it taught us a very valuable lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the paragraph about the class exercise. Maintaining happiness is so important forum throughout our lives no matter how tough times may get. People get so caught up in work, sports, partners and other things and sometimes forget what life is all about. I think your idea would be a great exercise for our class and hopefully the professor at least considers something along the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I can totally relate with he procrastination thing. It's so bad Because I literally always wait till the last second. Anyhow, I didn't think to read this one so I found your post really interesting. Recently I've come to realize when things don't work out, to just keep pushing and moving on. I also found the exercise nice because its nice to always try to be happy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts