You have an Opportunity, Now What? ~ Assignment Seven




So this is completely new. I haven't written about this before but because I am going into the construction industry, I thought it would be a good idea. I wrote some of the questions I asked them because I want you all to be able to fully understand the interview.

Here is my hypothesis...

Independent college students in the United States are unable to afford comfortable housing because of the course load they take at a college or university. 

I interviewed five people that either live at home while going to college or pay for their own place. I personally do not have to pay for my own rent but I pay for everything else and I still struggle. Working and being a full time college student is challenging. There are many nights where I stay up late and wake up early. I don't get a lot of sleep... EVER! 😆 I know a lot of people who do have to pay their rent so I thought it would be interesting to learn more about it. Overall, the students that lived at home were happy with living at home because they were saving money. Most of them said that they would want to move out on their own it just isn't affordable and adds a lot of extra stress. When people looked for places, they were either having to sacrifice their bank accounts or their safety and I think they shouldn't have to sacrifice either of them.

For the people who have to pay for their housing... It was hard to listen to. It is almost like I could hear the stress coming out of their voices when they spoke about it. I didn't even ask who pays for their tuition... What I learned from them is that they liked it because it made them feel more independent but at the same time, they thought it was too expensive for the quality that they were getting. Most of the people who paid for their housing wouldn't move back home either so I thought that was interesting. I would honestly feel the same way though. I was ready to leave the nest and fly the coop when I graduated high school. If I had to pay for my own housing, I would make it work too instead of going back home. In my opinion, I think it is hard to move back home once you have had a taste of freedom and independence!


Here are the specific interviews if you wanted to read them.

Interview One ~ College student...21 years old... Lives at home...

1. How do you feel about living at home?

I love it! I am able to save a lot of money by living at home. I work full time and I am going to school part time right now. I am going to school full time starting spring semester and it will be nice because I won't have the stress of living on my own and having to take care of a lot of those things.

2. How would you describe your housing conditions?

It's pretty great. My parents just built a new house so everything is brand new and easy to use.

3. Would you want to move out on your own?

I would if I had the money and I eventually will when I am more financially secure.

4. If so, have you looked into it? Have you faced any challenges doing so?

Yes I have and a lot of challenges are being able to find good roommates. Another issue is safety and price. Some apartments and homes are affordable but in a bad part of town and others are in a good part of town but are expensive and out of my budget.

5. Are there any reasons you would want to stay at home?

The main reason is to save money while I am in school. I don't think I am ready for all of the bills that come along with living by myself.

6. What would be your ideal living conditions if you could choose to live wherever you wanted to while attending school?

I would love to live in a house (not an apartment) with my boyfriend and some of my friends. That way, the rent is cheaper because there will be more of us. We will be able to have fun but not have to spend a ton of money.



Interview Two ~ College student... 20 years old... Lives at home...

1. How do you feel about living at home?

Living at home saves me a lot of money. I get along with my parents very well so it hasn't been much of an issue for me.

2. How would you describe your housing conditions?

I live with my mom and dad. My parents are divorced but they live pretty close to each other. I get the chance to live in two places with all sorts of pets so it's nice to have somewhat of a change now and then.

3. Would you want to move out on your own?

I have thought about it but the best scenario for me is to stay at home. My school is close by and at the moment, I don't have enough money to live on my own.

4. If so, have you looked into it? Have you faced any challenges doing so?

My boyfriend and I actually looked into moving in together but we realized it would be too expensive.

5. Are there any reasons you would want to stay at home?

My school is really close by so there isn't really a reason for me to move out right now. I have responsibilities at each of my houses so there are conditions I have to meet up with if I want to continue living there.

6. What would be your ideal living conditions if you could choose to live wherever you wanted to while attending school?

I love watching interior design shows on TV so this is a hard question for me. I would like a small apartment and live with my best friend or my boyfriend. I would like to stay in the area that I am currently living in too.



Interview Three ~ College Student... 20 years old... Pays for their own housing...

1. How do you feel about paying for your own housing?

I don't mind paying for my own housing. It gives me a sense of independence and responsibility. My boyfriend helps too and we basically split it down the middle. It makes us have to budget more and be responsible with our money but I think it will be good for us in the long run.

2. Do you face any challenges? 

The only challenge I face is making sure I have enough food. Rent is pretty expensive so that is where a lot of my money goes.

3. How would you describe your current living conditions?

My housing conditions are quite nice. I live in an apartment and it is one of the safest and nicest ones in town!

4. If you were able to live at home, would you? Why or why not?

I don't think I would. I am making it work now with the bills and if I ever got into a spot where I couldn't do it, I would but it would be my last resort. I love being close to my family but I like living separate from them.

5. Do you have roommates and is the house/apartment you're renting furnished?

I live with my boyfriend and he bought the furniture in the apartment so no it was not furnished when we first moved in.

6. What would be your ideal living conditions if you could choose to live wherever you wanted to while attending school?

My ideal living conditions would be exactly where I am now. I live off campus but the commute is short and I live in a nice part of town.



Interview Four ~ College Student... 19 Years old... Pays for their own housing...

1. How do you feel about paying for your own housing?

I am obviously not excited about having to pay for my own housing. House is very expensive and it is just another thing I have to worry about while I am in school. The fact that I have rent and utilities is stressful.

2. Do you face any challenges? 

I don't necessarily face any challenges paying for my housing, except the fact that it is difficult to work and be a full time student at the University of Florida. I manage to pay my rent on time each month, but it is stressful trying to budget my money and make sure I have enough by the time the first of the month rolls around. There have definitely been some close calls.

3. How would you describe your current living conditions?

My housing conditions are average at best. I have a bedroom and a bathroom to myself, and a kitchen and living room that I share with three other roommates. The place isn't gorgeous but this is my first apartment so I didn't expect luxury. Compare to what other people in the area are paying, I feel like my placed is fairly priced.

4. If you were able to live at home, would you? Why or why not?

I don't think so. Although this would save an incredible amount of money and I would have the additional support of my parents and siblings, I feel that college is a time to start adapting to living on your own. While it is really stressful, it is important for college-aged students to learn money management and time management skills that can be applied later in life. .

5. Do you have roommates and is the house/apartment you're renting furnished?

I live in a four bedroom, four bathroom apartment with three other people. The shared spaces of the apartment are furnished but the bedroom was not. They did provide a furniture package with rent which I purchased. It came with a bed, nightstand, desk and dresser.

6. What would be your ideal living conditions if you could choose to live wherever you wanted to while attending school?

I would love to be close to campus and by close I mean within walking distance. I would also really like a place to be moderately priced and come furnished with multiple floor plan options. Ideally, I would like to live by myself or with one other roommate. I would want to have access to a community with a gym, office study area and pool within the complex. 



Interview Five ~ College Student... 21 years old... Pays for their own housing...

1. How do you feel about paying for your own housing?

I am not a huge fan of it but it does teach me responsibility and gives me a sense of independence. It is hard to keep up with school and work a full time job. I have had to take less courses so I can work more in order to support myself.

2. Do you face any challenges? 

Most months are tight so that is one challenge I face. I have to have a budget and stick to it to a T or else I won't have enough money to pay rent, utilities, other bills and food.

3. How would you describe your current living conditions?

It is okay because it is all I can afford at the moment.

4. If you were able to live at home, would you? Why or why not?

I like living on my own. My parents don't live near me so it wouldn't even be an option and even if it was, I don't think I would. I love my family but living with them again would be a challenge.

5. Do you have roommates and is the house/apartment you're renting furnished?

I live with my boyfriend and he helps with the rent and other bills. It is not furnished but luckily we had our own furniture to use. We didn't have to buy much.

6. What would be your ideal living conditions if you could choose to live wherever you wanted to while attending school?

I would love to live in a house with my boyfriend that has a backyard for our doggies. We take them on tons of walks so they get enough exercise but it would be nice to just let them out in the backyard. A big kitchen and an extra bedroom or two would be ideal.

Comments

  1. Great post Danielle! I couldn't agree with an opportunity more. Thankfully I don't have to work and live in a comfortable apartment but I have seen the amount of stress not being financially secure can cause on people, especially college students. It's just an added stress that shouldn't be placed on the bright minds of our future. I'm glad to see that you're looking at exploiting this opportunity and making the college experience a better one for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your opportunity that you are attempting to capitalize on is a challenge. Choosing to either live with your parents or live away from home after high school is an inevitable decision that many individuals must face. Unfortunately, I sense that combatting this concern will see itself constrained because of the situational element that entails from it. Cost of living would have to be completely depleted to ever see this dilemma not impact so many people. I believe there are other natural economic forces that overrule any silver-lining to this unsettled problem which makes it purely situational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a student who has lived at home and on my own during my years and college, I can most certainly say that I prefer to live on my own. Yes I pay my own rent and most other things with my parents chipping in here and there, but its part of growing up. Fresh out of high school I probably wouldn't have been able to manage, but I stayed home, saved money knocked out a couple of classes, and now I am exactly where I wanna be managing things just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a dog lover I must say that I strongly agree with your post. Dogs, especially the bigger ones, need to exercise and get fresh air. Leaving them in room or even a worse a cage all day isn't goof for them. Most of us students have a very busy schedule with not a lot of free time and I am positive there are some people who would for you to provide this service for them

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts